Most women spend an average of three years of their lives shopping, according to a recent survey by global online market researcher OnePoll.com. And a poll by MyCelebrityFashion.co.uk found that 25 percent of women only wear 10 percent of the clothes they own, while 91 percent have an item in the closet that still has the tags on.
Lifestyle expert Amy Sewell, of Shop With Style, has some tips to help you put your shopping time to good use by finding fashion that suits your figure.
* The Perfect Suit. Choose a jacket with small pads to define your shoulders and a waist that is slightly fitted to give you a womanly curve. Pants with a flat front and slightly-flared legs will minimize the tummy and create a longer, leaner look. A-line skirts offer good camouflage for fuller hips and thighs; skirt lengths that hit at or just below the knee flatter most figures.
* Keep It Monochromatic. Wearing the same color from head to toe creates the illusion of one long, unbroken line, making you appear slimmer. Think neutrals: black, camel, cream, dark brown.
* Skim, Not Skin. Clothing should skim your curves, so look for fabrics that drape in a flattering way. Heavy fabrics will hide your shape, while super-sheer fabrics and spandex reveal a little too much. Knitwear line Ming Wang is a perfect wrinkle-free and shape-retentive clothing option.
* Fit Is Key. Buy clothing that actually fits your body. Anything too large or too small will make you look heavier than you are. You won't fool anyone by stuffing yourself into a smaller size or hiding your body under loose fabric.
* Smooth Foundations. Wear pants and skirts with built-in shape wear to alleviate the hassle of extra layers that can create bunching throughout the day. Ming Wang has created a line of Slendersize bottoms with built in shape wear that works to smooth and contour all body types. Since Slendersize pants and skirts are available in both black and white, they can form the foundation of your wardrobe from season to season.
For more on Amy Sewell, visit www.shopwithstyle.net. To see the latest flattering fashions from Ming Wang, visit www.mingwangknits.com.